Saturday, December 19, 2009

All aboard!

We went to Grapevine, TX, the Christmas capital of Texas, and let me tell you...it is! My brother-in-law David got us tickets for ride The North Pole Express. It was going to be a family affair but with Campbell sick last week, we decided to play it safe and I took Nolan with my parents. We just finished watching Polar Express and have been reading it at bedtime off and on this Christmas season to get in the holiday spirit.

They had a conductor and on the way to load up the train, they even made it snow. It's an old vintage train and Nolan ate it up. We sang Christmas carols and he was singing along right next to my mom who I think would watch Polar Express and read it to her students (she teaches 2nd grade) everyday if she could. Nolan was so cute and was looking for wolves just like in the movie when we were going on the train ride. On the way back, Santa came through our car and said hi personally to each boy and girl on the train. I couldn't hear what he asked him but Nolan said, "He asked me if I was happy." He was just smiling ear to ear. I think Santa got his answer.

Afterward, they had hot cocoa and the kids could make ornaments. We asked him if he wanted to come back next year and take Campbell and he said no. As sad as it was to not take Campbell with us, I think Nolan thought it was extra special because he got to experience it all by himself. I don't think he wanted to share it!
Nolan with the "conductor"
walking to the train in the snow
about to board with Granddad
made it on the train and all smiles
looking for the wolves like the book and movie
definitely a Christmas memory
just when it couldn't get any better...a special guest arrives
after the train ride with Grandma and Granddad

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails