Monday, June 22, 2009

In memory of a dear friend


I can't believe that I'm even writing this post because it really doesn't seem real. My dear friend and co-worker Dawn Patino is up in heaven. Dawn is right across the hall from me at school. We eat lunch together everyday, work out after school, we're constantly in-and-out of each other's classrooms throughout the day. I know I must have completely annoyed her the past two years coming into teaching and knowing NOTHING about what I was doing and asking her a million questions. She never showed anything but compassion and help whenever I needed it.

At the end of the school year, we had our annual kickball tournament: 5th grade vs. teachers. We were all having a great time but Dawn pulled her Achilles tendon. She went to the hospital and had to have surgery later that day and was put in a full leg cast. We laughed about how crazy it was that she was in a full leg cast for the summer after a harmless kickball game. Friday night, Dawn had a blood clot to her lung (a possibility after a surgery) and had a heart attack. She was in the hospital when she went into cardiac arrest, but it took them over 30 minutes to revive her. The doctors and nurses said that four minutes without oxygen to the brain can be devastating. Her family drove in from Iowa and later found out that there was no brain activity after several tests. After trying every possible test, her family had to make the unbearable decision to take her off life support. They are donating her organs and how appropriate for Dawn who would help anyone and everyone to save lives.

Tomorrow is her memorial service and I just can't believe this is happening. I don't think it will really set in until next year when I don't see her in her classroom or have lunch with her everyday. This is just another reminder how fragile life is and to live each day like it's your last. I love you Dawn and I will miss you terribly. What an impact she's made on so many lives and students! She may have only been 34 but what an amazing and self-sacrificing life she lived!

4 comments:

  1. I'm so sorry. My prayers are definitely with you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Andrea, this is so so sad!! I'm so very sorry & will be keeping her family and friends in my prayers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Andrea, I am so sorry. I will pray for you and her family.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can't believe she's gone. What an amazing tribute to her. She was an amazing teacher. I taught JA in her class and loved how cool and calm she always was. She definitely loved teaching, you could tell! She really did touch so many lives! I'm glad I got to know her and I'm so glad you were able to take so much from her...I'm thinking and praying for you, the Daggett students and teachers and her family.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails