Thursday, August 2, 2012

Tonsil fairy

My poor Nolie Polie suffered through 7 cases of strep throat through his kindergarten year. I think his teacher thought I let him go around licking doorknobs with how many times he got it.

We finally went to an ENT and he recommended having his tonsils taken out. We had to put it off until the summer so that we'd have time off school. The week leading up to the surgery we played HARD...swimming every day, riding bikes, playing outside because I'd heard horror stories about how kids recover from tonsillectomies.

So this past week we had the surgery. The staff at Cook Children's Hospital Northeast is amazing. They had him smiling and laughing the second he walked in the door. There was even a fun house mirror to greet us.


Soon after that they even gave his horsey a fire hat...never know what might happen in surgery.


He was so smiley and happy before the surgery and I just kept thinking, "Poor thing doesn't even know how bad it's going to hurt."


They gave him some giggle juice and he started to get really mellow. About 30 minutes later they took him back. He kept looking back at me as they were wheeling him away. It doesn't matter how routine of procedure it is, when you're a mama, you're a nervous wreck about your baby. The night before I hardly slept. I guess I didn't realize how nervous I really was!

After 15 minutes, Dr. Palmer came and told us he was doing great and that his adenoids had grown back and so he took those as well. When we went back to see him, he already had his rainbow popsicle and was pretty groggy. But within 15 minutes, he said, "I'm hungry!" I couldn't believe he wanted to eat after that.


We've been on a diet of scrambled eggs, yogurt, applesauce and ice cream the past few days. The day of the surgery we went to Orange Leaf to treat him to yogurt.


Friday and Saturday he went around the house like normal talking about how great he felt and then this pretty much sums up Sunday-Thursday. I think the scabs are forming and falling off.


I've been setting my alarm to give him his pain medicine. It feels like having a newborn all over again. Hoping that my Nolie Polie feels better really soon.

Here's to hoping that 1st grade doesn't include strep!

1 comment:

  1. HI there,
    I will be honest I have been reading your blog with COurtney Parish for a awhile now. But I had to finally comment on this post because we went through the same thing this summer with my 4 year old. I pretty much wrote the exact samething on about our experience.
    Hope he is feeling better!
    Lesley
    www.kltfamily.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails