Saturday, April 23, 2011

Curiosity gets the best of all of us...


It's happening. My very inquisitive 5 year old is asking questions. This is nothing out of the ordinary.

"Mommy, what does modify mean?" 

"Daddy, what tells your eyes to see?"

But the mother of all questions came this week when I was putting the boys to bed while Justin was at church.

"Mommy, how is Landry going to get out of your belly?" 

*GULP*

It was one of those mother meta cognitive moments where you're fully aware that you're thinking about what you're thinking. I think my thought at that very moment was OMG, how can this already be happening!? He's only 5 years old!

Something I feel pretty sure about when it comes to parenting is that I want my children to feel like they can come to me for answers and know that I'm going to tell them the truth. But it's finding that line of telling them the truth and then telling them what they can developmentally handle at that particular time that's the tough part.

So my head was spinning fast and all I could say after a pause that must have been nearly a minute long was, "Well, Mommy is going to push her out." I was really praying that would pacify him.

But that was quickly followed by another question, "Out of your mouth?!"

Completely without meaning to, I busted out laughing because it caught me so off guard. He asked why I was laughing at him and I had to reassure him that I wasn't laughing at him merely laughing at how adorable and cute he was.

After realizing that more information given to him would only entice him to keeping asking more questions, I finally ended the conversation with, "It's getting really late, Daddy and I will answer that another night."

So I might be truthful, it might only take me 5-10 years to tell the whole truth.

2 comments:

  1. This is how not to do it...
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandstyle/2011/apr/23/sex-education-julia-sweeney
    But it is a very funny article
    Jane
    England

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha oh no! Good luck! Can't wait to hear what you come up with :)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails